For more Information call Follow us on: Twitter Facebook Google Plus Youtube Linkedin

HOME  /  International Students  /  Before You Arrive  /  Pre-Departure Information

Pre-Departure Information

Please verify the terms outlined in the Confirmation Letter from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), TRV and Study Permit for accuracy, to ensure your name is spelled correctly and that the dates and information are all correct.

 Book an airline ticket AFTER the confirmation letter and TVR have been obtained.
Make photocopies of important documents and keep the copies in a safe place.
  • Original School of Engineering Technology & Computing Letter of Acceptance.
  • Valid passport and/or official government-issued identification.
  • Letter of introduction from the Canadian embassy, consulate, or immigration office.
  • Temporary Resident Visa (if required).
  • Proof of sufficient funds (such as a bank statement).
  • Credit card(s).
  • Marriage certificate (if you are married).
  • Identification document with photo.
  • Driver’s license or international driver’s license, driving insurance records, vehicle registration, and insurance papers (if you plan to drive/bring your car).
  • Medical and immunization records.
  • Medical insurance documents (if you are going to rely on medical insurance from your home country).
  • Original School transcripts/certificates.


Weather & Clothing
School of Engineering Technology & Computing students dress casually for classes, (jeans, t-shirts and casual wear), but students may wish to bring some formal clothes for special occasions. The Canadian climate offers four very distinct seasons; be prepared! Students will want a warm jacket, gloves and a hat for winter, as there are plenty of opportunities to enjoy the colder weather (and possibly snow) from November to March.  Please visit Environment Canada, for detailed information on the weather in the Toronto area.
Immigration Documents
Carry your immigration documents on you (not in luggage) when travelling.
For information about what people can legally bring into Canada, please click here 


We recommend that students bring a copy of medical records. A physician may need to write a short medical history (preferably in English) for a new doctor in Canada if a student suffers from a chronic medical condition.
Bring copies of records (including the dates) of any immunizations and tests. If a student uses traditional medicines or special herbal remedies on a regular basis, it is suggested to carefully select the appropriate quantity needed for the length of stay.
Also check with the nearest Canadian consulate, visa office, or the Canada Border Services Agency about any import restrictions on these substances. If a student brings medications, please ensure that they are in the original packaging and are accompanied by a prescription from your physician.


Back to Top