For more Information call Follow us on: Twitter Facebook Google Plus Youtube Linkedin

HOME  /  International Students  /  Study Permit and Consular Assistance

Study Permit and Consular Assistance

Please apply for your study permit as soon as you receive your Letter of Acceptance from RCCIT. A study permit and Temporary Resident Visa (if required) can take several weeks or even months to be issued. Please be diligent about the required paperwork and verify the visa application processing at Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).

If you are not a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada, to study in Canada you must obtain a study permit from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). Depending on your country of citizenship, you may also require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV, or ‘entry visa’).

What do you need to apply for your study permit?

  • Original acceptance letter from RCCIT
  • Valid passport or official government-issued identification
  • Proof of funds to show that you can cover the cost of one year in Canada (including tuition and living expenses). You will need a bank statement for the past four months, savings account passbook, bank draft, or other proof of sufficient funds.
  • A declaration that you will leave Canada after you have completed your studies
  • Medical exam (and criminal history if applicable)
  • A processing fee ($150.00 CDN)

Request more information


If your application is accepted, you will receive a letter of approval/introduction. This letter is not your study permit. When you arrive in Canada, you must show this letter to a Canadian officer at the port of entry.
If you are from a country where Canada requires a Temporary Residence Visa (TRV), it will be placed inside your passport. You must enter Canada before your TRV expires (please check the dates issued on this document).

Port of Entry

When you arrive at Canadian Immigration at the port of entry (Canadian airport), you will be issued your study permit and may be asked for the following documents:

  • Letter of introduction from the visa office when your study permit was approved (this contains your permit reference number)
  • Passport
  • Temporary Resident Visa (if required)
  • Copy of your Letter of Acceptance from RCC Institute of Technology
  • A list of any items that you are sending separately
  • Proof that you have enough money to support yourself during your stay in Canada

Benefits of a Study Permit

  • You can study on campus at RCC Institute of Technology as a full-time student.
  • You can renew your study permit within Canada, if you decide to continue studying in Canada. (Original study permits are only issued at Canadian visa offices outside of Canada).

Consulates in Toronto

  • Many countries have consulates to support their citizens abroad (students, tourists and expatriates).

If you need any help or more information about student visas, please contact our International Student Services at or speak with an Admissions Advisor.


Back to Top